59 minutes ago
Wednesday, 30 June 2010
Following on from my last post using the jigsaw pieces as masks, I decided to collage some of the wooden jigsaw pieces. I layered acrylic paints, sprayed on Cosmic Shimmer mists and the inked and collages some Tim Holtz papers. Lastly I die cut some of the aluminium metal from this month'd DT pack using a Sizzix ' bug' die in a Big Shot, inked these with alcohol inks and adhered them to the collages to create some delightful fridge magnets. These could just as easily be brooches, pendants, toppers...........the list is endless. Which is just as well as I still have 27 pieces left :)
Tuesday, 29 June 2010
For my recycling project this month I received a colourful wooden jigsaw:
Endless possibilities for this! But before I started collaging the pieces, it seemed a shame not to use them on some fabric ;)
I cut a remnant of stretch denim into the pieces for a child's hoody and placed the jigsaw pieces over the fabric to create masks. Jacquard Lumiere 'Crimson' was diluted with 50% water, decanted into a spray bottle and applied to the fabric. This was dried and heatset with an iron before sewing up. After sewing I highlighted half of the jigsaw shapes with red thread embroidery to co-ordinate with the red zigzag contract stitching on the garment edges. Now my little boy has a new and unique top.
Thursday, 24 June 2010
The day the June DT pack arrived I was making traditional calico baby bonnets. So finding the combination of some floral baroque style stamps by Artemesio and some very fine loomstate calico in my box made the decision irresistable - a very fine bonnet was required.
First I cut out my pieces for the bonnets, including a lovely piece of Liberty fabric for the inside rim, and then I built up layers of stamping using the Artemesio stamps with Jacquard Lumiere and Sorbets. This was dried and then heat set with an iron. The first picture includes fabric for ties but these were not used as I decided ribbons would look even better.
The pieces were then sewn together to create this beautiful bonnet, for a very special baby.
Stamps, fine calico and Jacquard Lumiere fabric paints are all available from The Altered Element.
Friday, 11 June 2010
This month's DT pack consisted of some wonderful floral stamps by Artemio and a whole host of surfaces to stamp on! I decided to start first with the Stampbord dominos. Stampbord is a clay coated chipboard surface which takes ink really well. I thought I'd try out a few techniques to see how the worked.
The first one was 'aged' slightly with antique linen and vintage photo distress inks. I then stamped a floral image using Timber brown StazOn. I liked the simplicity of this so married it up with a fabric rose made from stamped fine calico sewn in the style of a grungepaper rose. These two charms were attached to a handmade knitted silk choker.
The second domino was coatedf with lilac alcohol ink then a floral flourish stamped in silver metallic StazOn and I tinted the edges with Crafty Notion glaze to add some colour. An Itkupilli image was adhered to the front and Glossy Accents formed the deep glazed coating. The charn was then attached to a homemade rosette with a brooch clasp.
Lastly, I randomly stamped a Stampbord domino with alcohol inks and stamped a trailing vine over the top in green StazOn. This was highlighted with a Gelly Roll pen and glazed with Glossy acents. A tulle accent and brooch clasp was added.
Lots more surfaces to play with - the fine loomstate calico provided is crying out for some heritage styling :)
Tuesday, 1 June 2010
In my DT box this month I received a fabulous shadow box - excellent quality and a lovely size, just right for showing off ATCs. I also received some Decoupaint Antik in a soft green called reed. the colour and texture of the paint made me think of angels, and my younger son's obsession with the Weeping Angels (Dr who fans will know this one!). But the box also had Decoupaint Patina in Old Gold which was very opulent and suggested more a Renaissance feel. I love gold paint and this one is fantastic, it is a lovely texture and colour and has a nozzle to direct the flow. A shrine called out to me and, being Pentecost, I settled on the traditional style of South American Catholic shrines.
I made the lower section of the box, coating the inner in the gold patina, outer in the reed paint. I felt the inner needed a rich surface so used some hand dyed organic bamboo velour, stamped in the gold patina using the Karantha stamp from my box - for added depth I then sprayed with Cosmic Shimmer mist through a Crafters Workshop template.
I painted a cabouchon with more reed paint, then gold. An Artchix image (a wonderful Pentecost find, a South American style Christ with the Holy Spirit as a dove) was adhered and then glazed with glossy accents. From this dangles a red glass bead and angel charm. Underneath this is a few lines from a Psalm, dyed and crumpled in tea and edged with Vintage photo Distress Ink and a little more gold paint :)
Then I painted the back of the shrine frame in gold, attached it to the box and painted the front in reed paint. I pressed sections of the Karantha stamp into the paint to add texture. Lastly I edged the frame in gold and lightly brushed gold highlights on with my finger tip.
This shrine is destined for a friend in need of some love and support.